09 October, 2005

Now, I don't know Poppy Z Brite (author), but my husband sorta does. Long story. I don't know her but I will mourn with her. When she had to evacuate New Orleans she had to leave many of her beloved pets behind. Poppy and her husband Chris rescue pets (mostly cats I believe) and care for them in the best way that they can. Just after the disaster a rescue group went in and saved some of their pets but weren't able to get to the feral cats. Today, Poppy found her beloved Ivan on the kitchen floor, dead. So much has happened to New Orleanians. Many have lost family members, temporarily or permanently. Homes gone. Jobs gone. I believe that for Poppy and Chris the animals ARE their family.
Certain images always remind you of a tragedy. Media flings those images at us at breakneck speed. You almost become immune to them. I know that I will remember Ivan on the kitchen floor (Poppy described the scene almost too well).
I love cats too. I had a number of black cats that looked like Ivan. Like I said, I will remember Ivan.

No comments: