16 October, 2005


Aahhhhh! I nice sunshine colour for today. It rained all day, but it was so pretty and makes things so nice and green. Also, I worked today. After work we decided to go visit my sister and her family, without really letting them know we were coming. We stopped at the BEST doughnut shop I have ever found and bought 7 jumbo hot chocolates, 1 jumbo coffee, and 2 dozen wonderful doughnuts. When we got to my sister's, nobody was home. The kids had been talking about The Ghost Train at Stanley Park so we decided to go check it out. I LOVE this city!!! It was so nice. The theme is Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), the Mexican holiday celebrating death and our ancestors. There were dancers and devils, skeletal humans and animals (made from pressboard cutouts...but oh so pretty all lit up) and lights, LOTS of lights. The music for the train tour was all Mexican except for the end, when my 13 yr old son said that he thought the horror would never end...it was a skeletal Avril Lavigne and her music was playing. After the tour we went for a short walk in the gentle rain (to the loo, actually). There, a family of raccoons found us and we exchanged delighted sounds with each other. Under an Arbour of lights was a Shrine to our ancestors and my family and I went there to remember those who have gone before us. We said "HELLO" to our Mathew, my father Johnny, and my brother...and left offerings at the alter. It was so much fun and we will definitely go back. For YULE too!

No comments: