07 October, 2005

First Nation girls commit suicide 6 times more often than the national average. Why? I was talking with some friends of mine on an egroup the other day about Kathleen Beardy and other First Nations women who either kill themselves or go missing. Typically, they were of the opinion that they bring it upon themselves. Oh, yes please, please let me live a life that makes me want to kill myself when I am only eleven. Oh, yes please, please let me live a life on the streets to try to feed myself (food, void, etc) and get myself kidnapped and murdered. Oh, yes please, please let me live a life where I get lost in some depressing miasma and my family can't find me.
Give me a break. First Nations bring this upon themselves? Now say that about any other disadvantaged group anywhere in the world and see how far you get with it.

No comments: