14 November, 2005

They're back!! When I got home from work tonight I thought I saw something in the garden off to my right. I was wrong because not two seconds later a family of raccoons walked out of the garden to my left. They let me watch them for almost an hour. Two of the critters kept fighting each other and the big bloke waddled away. They are very wild animals and were a little skittish (which I am very happy about) but they were almost as interested in me as I am in them. These little guys (NOT so little really) kept going up on their hind legs and peeking at me. We had a mutual observation session. I am tempted to put cat food out for the raccoons but I am worried that they may not get along with Stahrr that well. After all, it is Stahrr's home too and I shouldn't encourage wild animals to be on the front porch with her. I just hope there are enough grubs in the garden for them. The picture above is pretty much what I saw times three and in the dark. Aren't they cute?? Even with their sharp teeth and nails and wild ways that I won't get near, they are adorable. I am not sure who took the picture above but I took it from the http://www.cbiaweb.com/ site. Hope that is enough to keep me out of trouble.

2 comments:

Sparrow said...

Thanks Mojo. I was thinking of a mutual friend who feeds the raccoons in her neighbourhood. Her raccoons have been around for a lot longer though and the cats are used to them. I would like to put food out for them though, so I think the tree idea is a great one.

Anonymous said...

What a neat experience! I remember watching the tourists at Prospector's Point at Stanley Park watching a raccoon family. It was very interesting. A mama and her 4 babies, and possibly the dad and uncle. Anyway, the tourist were trying to get VERY close, and we had to warn them that the raccoons were indeed wild and would bite and scratch them, especially the mama. They were so surprised, "Really? Wild?!". They did keep back, yay, and took about a hundred photos, heh heh.

I wish I was there Sparrow.

luv,
Tara